CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Christmas in Dallas....with RSV

Last week we traveled to Texas to celebrate Christmas with my parents. We left on Tuesday morning and drove the 7 + hours - I remembered very quickly why we usually fly! It's a long way!! And to think my parents drive that all the time - y'all must really love us!
We had a great time, but it started off a little bumpy. I had noticed the day before that Jackson was getting a runny nose and doing a little coughing here and there. I just thought he was getting another little cold like he had before we went to Disney World, so I started him on the same decongestant. While we were driving on Tuesday he just seemed to get worse and worse. He was very good in the car - just slept and woke up to eat, but he looked horrible. His eyes were red and constantly watering, he was coughing, and then started wheezing and eventually started grunting. I really didn't realize how sick he was until we got to my parents house and my mom was really worried about him. She talked me into taking him to an after hours clinic, CareNow.

Warner tearing into his presents the minute we arrived.
His big gift from Buddy & Kissy - a bike to ride at their house! So excited!

Jackson got a walker, but he wasn't feeling so good here :(

my dad's grandfather name fits him perfectly - he is Warner's best buddy!

(Back to the story) When I called to get him in at CareNow the lady on the phone told me that if he was really bad sick we needed to take him to the ER. I thought oh no he's not that sick....should have listened to her! So we get him in at the after hours clinic. They monitored him on a pulse oximeter, but never could get a very good reading. Then we tried a breathing treatment. His heart rate was through the roof and he was having a little difficulty getting a good breath.
After the doctor came in and out what seemed like 100 times, they finally advised us to go to the Children's hospital ER. We were walking out of the clinic to get in the car when the nurse comes in the lobby and says the doctor would like to see us one more time. He starts giving us directions of the best way to get to the hospital and then out of nowhere he says or we could call an ambulance. WHAT??!! I was totally caught off guard. I really don't remember much at this point. After we went back and forth about what to do the doctor finally said I think you should call the ambulance. One minute later (or close to it) a fire truck and ambulance with 5 paramedics pulled up at the clinic and rushed to Jackson's side. They immediately started running different test to make sure he was not in respiratory distress. Praise the Lord he was fine!! They felt that he was well enough for us to drive him to the hospital, so off we went.
At the ER they took us straight back and started their own testing. He was very congested! The ER doctor wanted to suction him really well and test for RSV. I had already decided this is what he had, so it was no surprise when the results came back. They wanted to keep him over night for observation, and even though that is not the way I wanted to spend our first night in Texas, I was happy to stay.




It was a rough night! I finally laid my head down at 2:30 and then at 3:30 the respiratory therapist was there for a breathing treatment. Jackson was so pitiful!! It's really hard to see your baby like that - I just wanted to take his place.
We were discharged the next day....but poor little baby was not any better.

We were all glad to get out of that hospital and get a little TLC.


It took about two more days for Jackson to finally start feeling better and act himself.
Warner loved all the one on one time with my parents while we were in the hospital!

He is really into hats these days



and glasses
They both LOVE their Buddy!!

Warner couldn't wait to try out his new bike. He and Buddy rode all the way to the park and back. That's about a 2 mile bike ride...I think that's pretty good for a 3 year old. He was worn out when they got back!!
I love this picture!!
We had plans to leave on Friday, but with Jackson still so sick we didn't think it was a good idea to have him in a car for 7 hours. Daddy drove home on Friday and Warner, Jackson, and I stayed and flew home yesterday. The plan was for Warner to drive back with daddy because he started back to school on Monday...but he just didn't want to leave his Buddy & Kissy...and I didn't want him to leave his mommy. Sorry daddy!
Me and my dad took Warner to the movie to see Alvin & the Chipmunks. I think his favorite part about going to the movie is the popcorn!

On Friday we finally started seeing some of these...

Bathtime!! Warner thought it looked like fun to get a bath like a baby.

ZINGO!!! I think Warner played this game one hundred times! As long as he could find someone to play with him he would just keep playing and playing. It really is the cutest game.
Jackson went to the doctor this afternoon for a follow-up visit with our pediatrician, and I'm happy to report that his lungs are CLEAR!! Praise the LORD!!
(and he weighs 16 lbs!!)

7 comments:

Brooke said...

How scary Ginger! We were sick at my parents house for Christmas too, but luckily CeCe was the only one that stayed well. I was so worried about RSV with her. I'm so glad Jackson is feeling better now!

childsplay said...

Oh Ginger - how scary! so glad to hear that everybody is back to feeling well - it sounds like ya'll really got taken care of in TX! - what cute little boys! love, lizbeth

The Lively's said...

Missing me some boys!!!!!

The Dunsmores said...

Glad he is feeling better. Rex is just now starting to get better. What a stinker RSV is. Glad you made it through.
Sarah :)

The Segrest Family said...

ohhhh bless his sweet little heart! i can imagine that was so scary!!!! glad he is better now!

The Quinns said...

So glad he is better and that YOU survived all that! What a trip! Precious pictures- love the one of the boys in Buddy's lap in matching pj's!

Landon Wallis said...

Ging - so sorry to hear this! RSV in the little ones is super scary. Cooper had it when he was 2 months old and it was absolutely the worst I have ever seen a baby feel. We also were in the hospital and I just remember holding him and crying because I too wished it had been me and not him. Glad you all have that past you! Miss you! Landon